Current:Home > reviewsCiting security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices -Wealth Evolution Experts
Citing security concerns, Canada bans TikTok on government devices
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 02:57:57
TORONTO — Canada announced Monday it is banning TikTok from all government-issued mobile devices, reflecting widening worries from Western officials over the Chinese-owned video sharing app.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said it might be a first step to further action or that it might be it.
"I suspect that as government takes the significant step of telling all federal employees that they can no longer use TikTok on their work phones many Canadians from business to private individuals will reflect on the security of their own data and perhaps make choices," Trudeau said.
"I'm always a fan of giving Canadians the information for them to make the right decisions for them," he added.
The European Union's executive branch said last week it has temporarily banned TikTok from phones used by employees as a cybersecurity measure.
The EU's action follows similar moves in the U.S., where more than half of the states and Congress have banned TikTok from official government devices.
Last week, Canada's federal privacy watchdog and its provincial counterparts in British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec announced an investigation to delve into whether the app complies with Canadian privacy legislation.
TikTok is wildly popular with young people, but its Chinese ownership has raised fears that Beijing could use it to collect data on Western users or push pro-China narratives and misinformation. TikTok is owned by ByteDance, a Chinese company that moved its headquarters to Singapore in 2020
TikTok faces intensifying scrutiny from Europe and America over security and data privacy amid worries that the app could be used to promote pro-Beijing views or sweep up users' information. It comes as China and the West are locked in a wider tug of war over technology ranging from spy balloons to computer chips.
Canadian Treasury Board President Mona Fortier said the federal government will also block the app from being downloaded on official devices in the future.
Fortier said in statement the Chief Information Officer of Canada determined that it "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."
The app will be removed from Canadian government issued phones on Tuesday.
"On a mobile device, TikTok's data collection methods provide considerable access to the contents of the phone," Fortier said.
"While the risks of using this application are clear, we have no evidence at this point that government information has been compromised."
Recent media reports have also raised concerns about potential Chinese interference in recent Canadian elections, prompting opposition parties to call for a public inquiry into alleged foreign election interference.
"It's curious that the Government of Canada has moved to block TikTok on government-issued devices—without citing any specific security concern or contacting us with questions—only after similar bans were introduced in the EU and the US," a TikTok spokesperson said in a email.
The company is always available to discuss the privacy and security of Canadians, the statement said. "Singling out TikTok in this way does nothing to achieve that shared goal," the email said. "All it does is prevent officials from reaching the public on a platform loved by millions of Canadians."
veryGood! (166)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly higher after US inflation data ease rate hike worries
- Santos misses extended deadline to file financial disclosure, blames fear of a ‘rushed job’
- Jalen Hurts, Eagles host Kirk Cousins, Vikings in prime time again in their home opener
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Libyan city buries thousands in mass graves after flood as mayor says death toll could triple
- Rural nursing home operators say new staff rules would cause more closures
- Manhunt following shooting of Iowa police officer ends with arrest in Minnesota
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Ice Spice latte hits Dunkin Donuts menus in munchkin-fueled collab with Ben Affleck
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- New England has been roiled by wild weather including a likely tornado. Next up is Hurricane Lee
- In 'The Enchanters' James Ellroy brings Freddy Otash into 1960s L.A.
- Man is accused of holding girlfriend captive in university dorm for days
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- The Constitution's disqualification clause and how it's being used to try to prevent Trump from running for president
- New England has been roiled by wild weather including a likely tornado. Next up is Hurricane Lee
- 'Only Murders in the Building' Season 3 episodes schedule, cast, how to watch
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Pope Francis and Bill Clinton set discussion on climate change at Clinton Global Initiative
Former suburban Detroit prosecutor gets no additional jail time in sentence on corruption charges
'Only Murders in the Building' Season 3 episodes schedule, cast, how to watch
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Best shows to watch this fall: What's new on TV amid dual writers' and actors' strikes
California regulators propose higher rates for PG&E customers to reduce wildfire risk
CIA 'looking into' allegations connected to COVID-19 origins